Friday, February 22, 2008

what color is "old"?

i recently had to edit my "about me" profile thing (see right) to update my age. i'm officially on the other side of 25. i'm going to be 30. i didn't always think that i would be 30. but it looks like i am going to be 30. 30. 30, 30, 30. three decades of life. 30, when it all starts to go downhill. my boyfriend's been very supportive. for the few months leading up to my birthday he always made sure to find a reason to talk about how difficult turning 26 was for him. mmm. people show their love in all sorts of ways.

a lot of people, most of them older than i am, roll their eyes when i say anything about it. but it's not about getting older, really. it's not that i think 26 is OLD. it's just that certain ages slap you with a new reality: at 18, i was technically an adult. it felt scary to me, and i had a freakout. 19 was fine, so was 20, 21, and 22. when i hit 23, i was no longer "college age." i couldn't pretend to just be figuring things out anymore; at least that's how it seemed in my head. that was weird. 25 was alright. i'd survived 23 and 24 and it didn't feel much different. i was right there between 20 and 30; no closer to one than the other. but then i turned 26, and now it feels like i'm on this fast track to everything. like i'm on one of those people movers at the airport and it has no end and i can't jump over the side. 26 feels strange.

something i love: crystal light peach tea on the go packets. you just put them in your bottled water and shake. 10 calories per packet. it's delicious.

something i don't love: roseart markers. they SUCK. crayola is better.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Yea, I remember turning 26....first my hair started turning gray, then my molar teeth fell out, and lately I think I'm getting glaucoma....although that could be the weed....

Anonymous said...

Well I just turned 30 in january 2008...and well, I think when you turn 30 it will be better...because I am making $8/hr, I have no car, no license (I don't know how to drive), no college degree, I have been living at my dad's house for the past 5 years and I have never kissed a girl nor done what would follow after that (and I do prefer girls). So I think you have better stuff to look forward to than me... Well at least I wasn't living at my dad's place continuously, I was in the navy as a submariner from 1999 to 2003 (my contract ran out and I didn't agree with the war in iraq, so I took my honorable discharge and got out). but still...

--Brian, 30 male, Silicon Valley