Monday, July 30, 2007

i'm an orange moon, reflecting the light of the sun

i was thinking last night and i realized that every time i've been interested in someone immediately, like REALLY interested, it always turns out badly. i get too blinded by everything that seems so perfect and everything that seems exactly right on the surface and i jump right into things. it doesn't give me enough time to realize that i am being - or am certainly going to be - used. or that the other person involved doesn't necessarily want the same things that i do even if it seems like they do. i've realized that it's always turned out better when i haven't been interested in someone as a potential romantic partner right from the start. moving slowly is a very good thing, and sometimes (not always), maybe even most of the time, it allows you the opportunity to figure things out. to get to know someone. that may seem obvious. i'm probably just insane. but regardless, this is what i've realized.

but what do you do when you DO have an immediate attraction to someone? for me it's really difficult to ignore. i'm always afraid that if i don't let them know right away that i'm interested that i'll lose my chance, because that has happened to me before - more than once. but that way of thinking has gotten me nowhere and will never get me anywhere and all it leads to is confusion, self doubt, anger, and pain. this is where fate comes in. we all have free will, of course. and i always think back to that part of "forrest gump" in which he's trying to figure out whether you decide your own destiny or if everything is already mapped out for you from the beginning. he concludes that it's probably a little bit of both. makes sense. but in the end, i believe that everything happens for a reason and that what will be, will be. que sera, sera. it's just hard to...let go, just let go, when you want something so much. it's hard to wait. i've always had this odd sense that i'm running out of time.

on another note, i like to believe that karma exists, which is why i think it's pointless for us to waste our time on revenge. but in order to truly own that belief, you've got to put positive energy out there. treat others as you'd like to be treated.

i'm not a jesus freak, and i went to catholic school for 13 years which means i know jack shit about the bible, but...

love is patient and kind;

love is not jealous or boastful;

it is not arrogant or rude.

love does not insist on its own way;

it is not irritable or resentful;

it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.

love bears all things, believes all things,

hopes all things, endures all things. -- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7


...how can you argue with that?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find myself doing some of the same things. i have learned to lower my expectations of people. i know that its been said before, and its easier said than done. but in actuality i have really used self control and employed this technique. the outcome is i'm not let down, AND when things DO happen, they are unexpected, which makes them all the more amazing :]

Sarah said...

thanks for the comment. :) you seem like such a sweet girl, we should start talking! i hope you keep reading, i really appreciate the support and the feedback.

jess said...

my problem is (well, it used to be) i would get crushes all the time. i'd be physically attracted to someone right away and just want that. or i'd know about a person, about how their personality is, and like that. and i could never say anything because we don't even know each other at all and they'd find it weird and whatnot.

even with my current boyfriend (who's my first 'real' one) we've been dating for a little over a year now, and when we first met, we both saw each other and thought the other one was cute. made some small talk. and by the first time we actually hung out, he wanted to kiss me, but i brought a friend along so he waited until the next time. so, really, i don't know how to react to immediate attractions unless you get lucky and find someone the same way. and if you're lucky, it goes beyond just the immediate attraction and it just grows and grows.

and i know i'm only 17 and in high school and young and blahblahblah, but i've had a lot of crushes - almost always immediate - and until the current boy, none of them ever worked out. because apparently, there aren't many boys who are okay with immediate attraction.

Anonymous said...

i have some input on this. i've been really into one of my best friends (heather) for about 2 years. we knew there was something there about a year and a half ago, but she was in a relationship and so was i. then, a year later, she was single and i had a NEW girlfriend, and she was trying to get closer to me because she was kinda into me but i was in a relationship so i freaked and didnt talk to her for a while because it was so hard and tempting for me. so once my girlfriend and i broke up, heather got pregnant on accident. ouch. but we talked and talked and i finally let her know how much i really liked her and how every time i got a new girlfriend i would always think of her, for 2 whole years... well, now we are together and she's the love of my life and although shes 6 months pregnant we still want to be together forever. so yeah, that's my experience.

Anonymous said...

hey, i found your blog from your facebook. just wanted to let you know i started reading, and this post/comments makes me think of Dr. Colin (i miss colinsworld.com).

-Joy

th-Inker said...

nice, sorry this is only in response to your blogs title. who luvz miss badu...=D

Anonymous said...

Nice thoughts. Can I repost it on my blog? www.yaping63.spaces.live.com? I'll note where it's from and put a link. Thanks!

Sarah said...

the whole thing? i went to the site and i can't read it so i'm a little uncomfortable with that, but if you link to me that's okay, i guess. thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

hmmm..yeah. it's in Chinese mainly. I really like your article. I was googling "orange moon" because of a Chinese singer I like and this is the name of his most recent album and that leads me to this article of yours :) I'll put a link and say I really like this article of yours there. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

hmmm..yeah. it's in Chinese mainly. I really like your article. I was googling "orange moon" because of a Chinese singer I like and this is the name of his most recent album and that leads me to this article of yours :) I'll put a link and say I really like this article of yours there. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

oops, sorry I accidentally clicked "publish comment" twice. pls delete these last two comments.. -yaping

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you send, will look progressive in behalf of more interdependent articles in a jiffy as its sole of my choice issue to read.