Thursday, December 13, 2007

on the fifth day of christmas

so i was watching the real world tonight (i know, i'm sorry) and two of the roommates (kelly anne and cohutta) have started a relationship. i think they're adorable people on their own and together but anyway that's beside the point. they had sex and the condom broke. okay, first order of business: how fucked up/creepy is it that there are cameras in the bedrooms filming all of these people having sex all the time? and there is always a lot of sex on that show. how do they feel comfortable having sex with cameras in the room, and KNOWING it's going to be shown on national television? i'm never going to be able to wrap my head around that. but that's not really what i wanted to write about.

after they do it, kelly anne says, "the condom broke." as the episode goes on, you find out that kelly anne is not on birth control, and cohutta fully intends to take her home to georgia and marry her if they do find out that she's pregnant, because that is what he feels is the right thing to do. she's not sure what she would want to do yet, but isn't entirely opposed to that idea. fair enough. later on, kelly anne says that on sunday she will know whether or not her period is late. sunday comes along and she gets it. not pregnant. okay! MY question is: why...didn't she just go to the doctor or the pharmacy or planned parenthood or WHEREVER and get the morning after pill? if the footage shown is accurate, they know the INSTANT they're finished having sex that the condom is broken. it's broken. you know this! go get the pill. you even have five days to take it! if you don't know, this season's cast is living in sydney, australia. so i thought, well, maybe they, like, don't have the morning after pill in australia. or something. but i googled it. they totally do. and so...i just...WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GET IT. i don't understand. i have no real insight here but i felt incredibly compelled to write about this for some reason, ever since i saw the preview for this week's episode. she didn't say that she was against birth control, she just said that she wasn't currently on it. and obviously neither of them have a problem with sex before marriage. so i definitely didn't get the impression that either of them were against the morning after pill in any way. it wasn't even addressed. i just don't understand going through all of that grief if you can just go do that. alright, this has become complete and utter rambling now. i'm sorry.

CHRISTMAS IS IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!!! i am psyched, AAAAAND i've actually got most of my christmas shopping done. i don't have much to do, really, but it's a nice relief that i've made so much progress. on friday i'm going to the zoo to see the christmas lights with my boyfriend and some friends. i can't wait. we will see reindeer and maybe we'll ice skate! i'll definitely drink hot chocolate. and i plan to ride the carousel. and we will sing christmas songs alllll the way there. i might wear a santa hat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess some people see the morning after pill in the same way as they see abortions. I don't know if she did or not, but..yeah. She probably just wanted to drag it out and get the attention, plus she got to see what his reaction would be. Maybe she secretly wants a baby. I mean, it's the Real World so I don't think its altogether negative and bitchy of me to say she wanted attention. I mean, they had sex on TELEVISION. What.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that really makes no sense [the whole not-taking-the-morning-after-pill-thing]. I guess the only sense I can make out of it is that she saw it being equal to abortion and maybe she's against abortion, but I don't know. That's all I can really come up with.

Have fun at the zoo! I wish I could goooo. I think I'll go to the Cleveland Zoo with my family when I go home, though. I guess my cousins go every year and they want me and Bryce to go with them this year. That should be fun!

A said...

$20 says they've got a kitchen cupboard full of nothing but the morning after pill, and she took it before she even put her shirt back on. But it makes for dramatic television.